Sunday, November 26, 2017

lacking motivation vs burnout

For quite some time, I have been lacking motivation, drive, energy, a sense of urgency to do much. So is it lack of motivation, lack of need, lack of desire, complete satisfaction, lack of direction, or am I just lazy?

Lazy is an interesting concept, as it is usually applied to others. Not being lazy is considered a virtue, however, many people I see that are not lazy never seem to accomplish anything. They are just busy doing... doing... doing nothing of value, busy work, as far as I can tell, and when she is done, she starts over, and still there is nothing of value achieved. It is better to have a plan, of some kind, and then do something that has value, to my thinking. But if there is nothing that I want... well then why do anything.

I should be able to sit down and do nothing for the remainder of my life. But can I do that? No. I am thinking, dreaming of doing something, but do not have the motivation yet to actually do it. Well not yet. But reality of my age keeps me from starting. Oh well. It does not matter, in the end all that awaits us is death, but until then... I must do a few things. But then I hurt, and do not want to do anything that makes the hurt worse.

Burned out people lack motivation, and perhaps that is what the real problem is. I have had a series of burnouts, a period of time that I just go into a low, a period of zero motivation. A period low Losada ratio, and along comes depression. Some of us, the anxious, easily stressed, those of us who feel over responsible, when faced with our own human inadequacy, are subject to burnout. It is our nature. We must learn how to recognize and deal with our own burnout. When we suffer a frustration, we are prevented from doing something, rationally, physically, bureaucracy, skill, economics, or other issue, we may suffer a limited burnout; we may be able to recover or not. Some people may not suffer from this type of issue; some people will just not do anything either, hence could never have burnout.

It is likely only a subset of the population who feel responsible enough to ever deal with this. Those who always blame others for there failures could not suffer from burnout. Those who do so little that is beyond there comfort and competence zone, those who need to be trained first before they will undertake anything, even something simple, cannot ever suffer from this issue. Burnout is not part of their makeup.

So I went coaching a few archers. I do not agree with the club objective of teaching anyone; there are some that are just too immature, too young, and too poorly behaved to be safe. It is not until they shoot or do something which is dangerous that we can classify the child as too immature or too young. So what should the rules be? A demonstration of what not to do, and each of you is responsible for your own safety?




No comments:

Post a Comment